Get the Reddit app

Scan this QR code to download the app now
Or check it out in the app stores
r/vmware icon
r/vmware icon
Go to vmware
r/vmware
A banner for the subreddit

Read the rules before posting! A community dedicated to discussion of VMware products and services.

Members Online

ESX and Intel Turbo Boost

Hi everyone,

I‘m wondering how ESX uses the Intel Turbo Boost. I have an ESX server with two Intel Silver 4110 (8x 2.1GHz)

I understand how Intel Turbo Boost works in normal computer.

But I think my ESX does not use it at all. Situation: Only one VM with one Core. Windows Server 2016 installed. So only one Core of the hardware CPU is used but frequency is stick to 2.1GHz in Windows Task Manager when I use 100% CPU inside the VM. ESX host performance shows 2.2GHz used and 31GHz free, so there is only one hardware Core busy.

Do I need to enable Intel Turbo Boost somehow?

Thanks

Sort by:
Best
Open comment sort options
u/Gumagugu avatar

Check if turbo is enabled in the bios

Turbo mode is enabled and performance mode is set to max performance in BIOS

u/DevastatingAdmin avatar

Please see my other comment... Max. Performance is the problem. Turbo-boost provides more power to one/some cores, but that power must be saved on other cores.

Max. Performance will have all cores running at the barest minimum turbo-boost mode because it is at its maximum TDP without any powersavings!

Your best bet is to set BIOS to OS Controlled, or whatever the equivalent is, and let ESX handle the sleep states.

More replies
More replies
More replies
u/nimos001 avatar

What system is this in? Is this a homebrew setup? IBM? Dell? What model?

Its a new Cisco C220 M5 including some Cisco bugs :) Maybe I found another one here.

I‘m testig this server for datacenter use in future.

u/DevastatingAdmin avatar

Afaik you'll not see the core frequency in Windows, but ESXi/vCenter should give correct performance metrics.

Just make sure that Cisco is configured properly (there's a best practice guide from Cisco), you need to enable the powersaving features like C3 states, and it should be configured for "OS controlled" performance mode.

ESXi should set for Balanced Performance (as per VMware best practice guide) - i get the full turbo boost out of it like that on Cisco UCS blades.

More replies
More replies
u/vTSE avatar

You need deep C-States to get max. TB frequencies, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9GWK8Pn8ec, also, a guest will never show you an accurate frequency without vPMC being enabled for it.