Fermata Media Player - audio and video player for Android Auto

Search This thread

Andrey Pavlenko

Apr 8, 2020
Fermata Media Player is a free, open source audio, video and TV player with a simple and intuitive interface. It is focused on playing media files organized in folders and playlists.

Supported features:

⚫ Play media files organized in folders
⚫ IPTV addon with support for EPG and archives
⚫ Youtube and web browser addons
⚫ Support for network folders: SFTP, SMB (CIFS), Google drive
⚫ Remembers the last played track and position for each folder
⚫ Support for favorites and playlists
⚫ Support for CUE and M3U playlists
⚫ Support for M3U playlist URLs
⚫ Support for bookmarks
⚫ Shuffle and repeat functions
⚫ Playback timer
⚫ Audio effects: Equalizer, Bass Boost and Virtualizer
⚫ Configure audio effects for individual tracks and folders
⚫ Configure playback speed for individual tracks and folders
⚫ Sort tracks by name, file name, date or randomly
⚫ Customizable titles and subtitles
⚫ Support for Android Auto
⚫ Pluggable media engines: MediaPlayer, ExoPlayer and VLC
⚫ Video player with support for subtitles (VLC Engine only)

There are two version of the player:

1. The first one has support for Android Auto as a media service. This version is available on Google Play - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.aap.fermata
2. The second one provides the same functionality, but can be launched as an Android Auto application, i.e. with its own interface:

IMG-20191227-211919.jpg

IMG-20191227-211944.jpg

To install this version, you may either use the Android Auto Apps Downloader or, for manual installation, follow the instructions below. Before the installation, make sure that the "Unknown sources" option is enabled in the Android Auto settings. To enable this option, open AA settings on your phone and go to the "Developer Settings" section.

Manual installation
Before connecting to Android Auto:
  • Install the fermata-auto-control apk. This application is only required if you need support for steering wheel media buttons.
  • Start the player, grant permissions and add folders.

Last edited:

nellobnn

Dec 8, 2010
permiss request

Andrey, passing from 1.5.4 version to 1.5.5 I see on car screen the permiss message attached.
This message is present each first connection, why? I'm root and never received permiss request (only for add folder)
Moreover sometimes when i press pause the video continue and i have to stop from my phone (immediately stopped)
Thanks a lot
nellobnn

Andrey Pavlenko

Apr 8, 2020
Andrey, passing from 1.5.4 version to 1.5.5 I see on car screen the permiss message attached.
This message is present each first connection, why? I'm root and never received permiss request (only for add folder)
Moreover sometimes when i press pause the video continue and i have to stop from my phone (immediately stopped)
Thanks a lot
nellobnn

I've uploaded a new version of 1.5.5 today. In this new version I've removed that permission message. Please reinstall.

Which one pause button do you press? Is it Fermata player button, control or the steering wheel?

nellobnn

Dec 8, 2010
I've uploaded a new version of 1.5.5 today. In this new version I've removed that permission message. Please reinstall.

Which one pause button do you press? Is it Fermata player button, control or the steering wheel?

I use steering wheel, first I press pause on Fermata Control (nothing) then using the steering wheel I manage to press stop in Fermata player (nothing), finally I press stop on phone (immediately stopped).
This happens sometimes

Last edited:

Andrey Pavlenko

Apr 8, 2020
I use steering wheel, first I press pause on Fermata Control (nothing) then using the steering wheel I manage to press stop in Fermata player (nothing), finally I press stop on phone (immediately stopped).

It was a local file or a network stream?
If you reproduce this issue again, please send me logcat, perhaps there was some error.

Andrey Pavlenko

Apr 8, 2020
Network stream.
How can do the logcat?

If you use the VLC engine, it's not able to pause streams. In the last version I've added forcible stop instead of pause for streams. Also you may use the long press on the play/pause button to stop the playback.

You may use a logcat reader installed from the google play. Or, if you have adb enabled on your device, connect the device to usb, open console and type: adb logcat .

uhi711

Apr 28, 2013
Fermata Media Player is a free, open source audio and video player with a simple and intuitive interface. It is focused on playing media files organized in folders and playlists.

Supported features:

Play media files organized in folders

Remembers the last played track and position for each folder

Support for favorites and playlists

Support for CUE and M3U playlists

Support for bookmarks

Shuffle and repeat functions

Audio effects: Equalizer, Bass Boost and Virtualizer

Configure audio effects for individual tracks and folders

Configure playback speed for individual tracks and folders

Sort tracks by name or file name

Customizable titles and subtitles

Support for Android Auto

Pluggable media engines: MediaPlayer, ExoPlayer and VLC

Video player with support for subtitles (VLC Engine only)

1. The first one has support for Android Auto as a media service. This version is available on Google Play - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.aap.fermata

2. The second one provides the same functionality, but on rooted devices can be launched as an Android Auto application, i.e. with its own interface:

IMG-20191227-211919.jpg

IMG-20191227-211944.jpg

To install this version:

• Download the latest version - https://github.com/AndreyPavlenko/Fermata/releases
  • Install an appropriate universal apk (arm or arm64) or aab.
  • Install the fermata-auto-control apk. This application is only required if you need support for steering wheel media buttons.
  • Download and install AA Phenotype Patcher - https://github.com/Eselter/AA-Phenotype-Patcher/releases
  • Start the patcher, tap on the dots in the top right corner, select Fermata Auto in the list, return to the main screen and press the PATCH button. Reboot the device.

Video instruction - https://youtube.com/watch?v=bwHy5zw_qQs (note: the latest version of AA (currently is 5.2) is supported now).

PS: Sorry for incorrect links, I don't have permission yet to post links.
What do you mean by "media service" on a non-rooted phone connected to a car's infotainment system supporting Android Auto? May the player be used to play video on the car's screen? As far as I know there is no app in the play store compatible with AA and able to play video.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Andrey Pavlenko

Apr 8, 2020
What do you mean by "media service" on a non-rooted phone connected to a car's infotainment system supporting Android Auto?
Media service allows Android Auto to browse and play media, but it does not provide any user interface (currentry AA does not support custom UIs).

May the player be used to play video on the car's screen?
Yes it may, see the photos above.

As far as I know there is no app in the play store compatible with AA and able to play video.
You are right, there is no. Android Auto does not officially support it. That's why there are two versions of the app. The Google Play version does not support the AA video.

uhi711

Apr 28, 2013
I don't know what photos you are talking about, but the question still is: will I be able to play video on car's screen having a NON-rooted samsung phone? If yes, than how would I do this?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Andrey Pavlenko

Apr 8, 2020

Andrey Pavlenko

Apr 8, 2020
I don't see options for network streaming. How can I find that, and which kinds of streaming are supported?

Streams are currently supported only in m3u files, for example, IPTV m3u playlists. Supported all streams that are supported by media engines: Android MediaPlayer, ExoPlayer and VLC. VLC has a reach support for various media streams.

Reactions: GialanG

Alejandro2454

Mar 11, 2011
showing the weather and time on the top line of the screen

Dear:
That I congratulate and thank for the app. It is spectacular.
I want to ask you that the app while playing a video can allow showing the weather and time on the top line of the screen, which is an important functionality of android auto.
Thank you.
Alexander

Crow820

Apr 11, 2020
Hi Andery,
Your Fermata-Control app is working perfectly on Android Auto 5.2.
If this is not much of a hustle, could you implement this feature on the CarStream app?
That app was abandoned by it's creator and on Android Auto 5.2 the media control are not working
from the steering wheel.
Sorry for asking you but I don't think that somebody else will be able to fix that app.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do you mean that fermata Auto runs on android automotive directly? I think no, you mean on android auto. (I have android automotive too on my Renault Austral e-tech but It runs by android auto).

Yes it works very well directly on the Megane ETECH or Austral Google Automotive

Just put the apk of the app on a usb drive and if you have the 2.1.2 version you should have a file app on the megane interface, open it then go to the usb drive and click on the apk to install it

you can do this for netflix apk app or anything else
    Yes it works very well directly on the Megane ETECH or Austral Google Automotive

Just put the apk of the app on a usb drive and if you have the 2.1.2 version you should have a file app on the megane interface, open it then go to the usb drive and click on the apk to install it

you can do this for netflix apk app or anything
    Great.....you are right. But I have a problem.....I listen the audio bit I can't see the image. About your problem, I don't know if Fermata Is able to add links with username and password. However if you want to try add a IPTV list you must open fermata, click on right bottom icon folder with "+" sign and give a name to your list and add the link for m3u.
    Fermata Media Player is a free, open source audio, video and TV player with a simple and intuitive interface. It is focused on playing media files organized in folders and playlists.

Supported features:

⚫ Play media files organized in folders
    ⚫ IPTV addon with support for EPG and archives
    ⚫ Youtube and web browser addons
    ⚫ Support for network folders: SFTP, SMB (CIFS), Google drive
    ⚫ Remembers the last played track and position for each folder
    ⚫ Support for favorites and playlists
    ⚫ Support for CUE and M3U playlists
    ⚫ Support for M3U playlist URLs
    ⚫ Support for bookmarks
    ⚫ Shuffle and repeat functions
    ⚫ Playback timer
    ⚫ Audio effects: Equalizer, Bass Boost and Virtualizer
    ⚫ Configure audio effects for individual tracks and folders
    ⚫ Configure playback speed for individual tracks and folders
    ⚫ Sort tracks by name, file name, date or randomly
    ⚫ Customizable titles and subtitles
    ⚫ Support for Android Auto
    ⚫ Pluggable media engines: MediaPlayer, ExoPlayer and VLC
    ⚫ Video player with support for subtitles (VLC Engine only)

2. The second one provides the same functionality, but can be launched as an Android Auto application, i.e. with its own interface:

IMG-20191227-211919.jpg

IMG-20191227-211944.jpg

To install this version, you may either use the Android Auto Apps Downloader or, for manual installation, follow the instructions below. Before the installation, make sure that the "Unknown sources" option is enabled in the Android Auto settings. To enable this option, open AA settings on your phone and go to the "Developer Settings" section.

Manual installation
    Before connecting to Android Auto:
    Temporary solution with changed package name.
    New in 1.7.0 Beta https://github.com/AndreyPavlenko/Fermata/releases/tag/v1.7.0b :
    Youtube web view.
    Basic web browser with support for bookmarks and full screen.
    Gestures support by video and control panel view:
    - Vertical scroll - volume up/down
    - Horizontal scroll:
    1 finger - emulates rw/ff button click (skip 5 seconds by default)
    2 fingers - long click on rw/ff button (skip 20 seconds)
    3 fingers - long click prev/next button (skip 5%)
    Swipe left/right - play prev/next track
    Swipe up/down - play prev/next folder
    Double click - play/pause
    hi there

i can confirm that fermata auto is fully functional in my pixel 7a ( Android 14 not rooted... stock ).
    I have a connection via AAwireless dongle with developer mode enabled.
    Icon "fermata auto" does not appear in section "customizer app launcher" of the android auto app on the smartphone ( only fermata control if installed), but in app
    drawer on the "tablet" of the my car ( toyota corolla hybrid) appear together with fermata control.
    It seems to work even when moving.

CIAO
    Fermata stop working on 7.0 too were I use few day ago. I think Google blacklisted it, maybe try to rename package name can be a workaround
    Seems like that :( Package renaming works, but I don't think it's a good solution. Google has many ways to block any app.